Friday, November 16, 2007

stream o' conscience (ness)

They say an apple a day keeps the- you know, but I haven't eaten an apple in quite sometime and have similarly avoided the doctor as well. One explanation for someone in my "Millenial" post gen-x situation is a lack of health insurance and/or a lack of fresh fruits in our diets. Not to say that I haven't been sick. I just don't like doctors or medicine or dentists for that matter. I figure God gave us an immune system that has worked pretty well without modern medicine since way before I was born and will continue long after if we're all still here . (in my best apocolyptic tone) But don't let me seem so cynical as to not accept help now and again from an Emergen-C packet. Maybe it's the new apple? If it'll keep me from having to locate and pick out a healthcare provider and then declare my allegiance to a doctor until he says something weird about my sister looking good when its actually my girlfriend and he was being a little too hopeful. Then I have to go and change my doctor and the only name on the list is someone named Dr. Stab, which will work out great next time I have some sort of surgery. And realize that it doesn't end there. The next miserable failure is when it comes time for billing and the 7th level of hell surfaces to earth. Apparently Satan has taken control of the medical billing industry. You never get the right bill, if you ever get the bill at all. Then you're on the phone with the x-ray people wondering why your insurance didn't cover your bill and they tell you that your doctor, x-ray and that sucker that you get for "free" are all billed separately and that you should take a number and get in a phone line that wraps around the earth 4.5 times. So I will politely say no thanks and go eat an apple. (which will inevitably have a worm which makes me feel sick and have to go find a doctor who helps complicate my class-action lawsuit against fruit)